Monday, April 2, 2012

Out the Box: Dion Lim

Out the Box is a new series on HoneeBee Gifts that focuses on local community notables who share a bit about their gifting life...and a little more. I am excited to share this new feature with you and I hope you enjoy this up and personal look at gifting. It's kind of like peeking into someone's closet...but much more fun!

The Gift: Dion Lim
Today we are featuring Dion Lim, TV News Anchor & Money Saving Expert (have you heard about Dion's Daily Deals??) for WCNC, the NBC affiliate based in Charlotte, NC. Dion was recently promoted and now does the 5 p.m. and 11 p.m. newscast. She is a cute, petite ball of energy! When asked what she loves most about her job, she says "I love that every day is different. You get to meet, and for a moment, get to walk in the shoes of the most interesting people".

The Wrapping:  Dion shares just a bit of her gifting life...
Best gift received: My tiny Yorkie found on a farm in rural Missouri...and a wedding present for a helicopter tour around Oahu, Hawaii
Best gift given: Dion could not just pick one. She shared her top three with us. 
~A dachshund
My husband had mentioned one day in passing, he liked dachshunds. A few week later, while going to the supermarket, I passed by a pet store, and inside, was a little weenie dog that had gone on clearance! His original owner had returned him, and the price on him was marked down twice. Instead of buying ingredients for dinner, I came home with this little dog, that has given us years of unconditional love.
~A tin Hello Kitty box with a twist
The runner-up (gift) has got to be a tin Hello Kitty box, filled with 1970's Farrah Fawcett doll heads. All (heads) turned so when you opened the box, the four blonde heads would be staring at you. This was a gift to a friend in college, who was very artistic. I think you'd have to be in order to appreciate this unique...quite strange gift.
~Pringles, yes the chips!
My husband and I have a friend who loves Pringles. He can take down an entire tube in one sitting. So, when he came to visit us in Charlotte, we covered the guest room with 30-40 cans of Pringles in the most obscure flavors we could find and then after he left we sent him the leftover tubes.
My "go-to" gift (to give): Something slightly humorous, and or exclusive to where I'm living. Now, my go-to is pimento cheese and Callie's biscuits, or taking a Segway tour around Charlotte.
What's on your wish list (to receive): A two-week trip to Japan...flying first class!
Your most recent shopping splurge: A Kate Spade tote bag that reads "Eat Cake For Breakfast" and a Jeremy Lin Fathead sticker. They both make me smile when I see them.
Fill in the blank:  I love shopping at Paper Skyscraper for tchotchkes and Whole Foods for unique natural foods and body care items.

The Bow: Let's peek into the life of Dion, off-air...
On a Saturday afternoon you'd most likely find me... being totally domestic.
Favorite quote...You miss 100% of the shots you don't take--Wayne Gretzky
I am most inspired by...Everyday people who follow their passion, no matter how scary or risky it can be.
I'd love to meet...nobody famous. Most "famous" people I've discovered are either just like everyday folks or are kind of jerks.

Bzzz...Be sure to tune in to WCNC NewsChannel 36 from 5-6pm and 11pm to see Dion in action! You can also follow her on twitter @DionLimWCNC.
Pin It!

No comments: