Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Spotlight: Kendra Studios

Kendra Baird's artwork caught my eye at the NoDa Arts Market. She is a local Charlotte artist who has been in the area for over five years and works on traditional canvas, as well as wood. She has some whimsy pieces but my favorite ones include street scenes and umbrellas. When asked "why umbrellas" Kendra said (and I am paraphrasing) "Its something about how many people can be in the same space but not really see each other because everyone is hidden under their umbrellas". From our conversation, I gathered that umbrellas struck a cord with her audience/fan base and she continued doing more and I am glad she did. They are my favorites and I hope to purchase one soon. Here are a few of her pieces:

Rainy Day #3





Red Light

Rain on Me


The Blues


To purchase art for another takes research. If you know that your giftee has a favorite artist by all means make a purchase. If you are unsure, take in one of the many art crawls in Charlotte or visit a local museum or art school together and pay attention when something catches the eye of the giftee...that's when you will know what piece they would love to hang on their wall.

Sidenote: Mark your calendar for Friday, April 1st. Kendra Baird will have a show at Green Rice Gallery in NoDa.

source: kendrastudios.com
Pin It!

No comments: